LINGUIS 210 Montessori Training The Power of Words Questions Turdgill ch 1 and 2.Turdgill ch 1 and 2.Turdgill ch 1 and 2.Turdgill ch 1 and 2.Turdgill ch 1 and 2.Turdgill ch 1 and 2. LINGUIS 210; Pucci
The Power of Words
LINGUIS 210, Summer 2020
Focus questions for Chapter One, Trudgill
1. What points does the author make about the function of language in establishing
social relationships, and the role played by language in conveying information about
the speaker? (p. 2).
2. What is a dialect continuum? (p. 3)
3. The author makes a number of points about distinguishing between the terms dialect
and language. Although, in general, we refer to mutual intelligibility as linguistic
criteria, what other considerations does he offer? What was the most interesting, in your
view? What needs further clarification?
4. What is a standard variety of a language? Is it better than a non-standard variety?
How does the author explain this? What has the contribution of the scientific study of
language (p.8) been in this area?
5. What do the authors discussions about the non-prevocalic r and pronunciations in
Marthas Vineyard tell us about judgments about language, from both linguistic and
social points of view? (p. 9-13)
6. What is the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, and why does the author maintain that we must
reject any strong version of this? (p. 15)
7. The author discusses ways of expressing kinship relationships. What does this tell us
about social environments and language? How is culture reflected, and how does
language change? (p. 16-18)
8. What did you find interesting about the subject of taboo words?
LINGUIS 210; Pucci
The Power of Words
LINGUIS 210; Summer 2020
Trudgill, Ch. 2:
1. How does the author use the terms barriers and distance, to explain both
geographical and social dialects?
2. What differences does the author cite to explain the difference between caste
dialects in India, and social dialects in the English speaking world? What is his purpose
in contrasting these two situations? (p. 25-27)
3. What has the shift from investigating isolated pure rural speakers of a dialect to
surveying large numbers in urban areas brought to the field of sociolinguistics? In what
ways has it increased our understandings?
4. What did you understand as being some of the major contributions of Labov? (p. 2831) Why does the author say he is a methodological genius? (p. 37).
5. The author defines inherent variability which means that the variation in a dialect is
not due to missing two or more varieties but is an integral part of the variety itself (p.
34). Why is this point important in understanding peoples speech? How does this
conclusion apply to the work on the s in the third person singular?
6. The author ends the chapter asking what exactly is the value of this kind of
information? (p.39). What does he ask us to consider?
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers