Dalhousie China and India Birth Rates & Ratio of Working and Non working Age Population Analysis In this assignment, you will find and analyze data on the birth rate and the ratio of the working-age population to the non-working-age population for China and India. You will compare the countries and whether GDP per capita helps to explain these demographic changes.
World Bank World Development Indicators
Background data collection and analysis:
1. Download birth rate and death rate data for China, India, and Canada starting in the year of the 1960s corresponding to the last digit of your B00 number. For example, if your B00 number ends in 5, collect data starting in 1965; if your B00 number ends in 7, collect data starting in 1967. Find data through the year 2017. Use the series Birth rate, crude (per 1,000 people) and Death rate, crude (per 1,000 people).
2. Construct a figure showing the birth rate of China, India, and Canada on the same chart. Construct a second figure showing the death rate of China, India, and Canada on the same chart.
3. For China and India (separately), calculate the correlation coefficient between the birth rate and GDP per capita (use GDP per capita (constant 2010 US$)), and calculate the correlation coefficient between the death rate and GDP per capita, between your earliest year (selected according to the last digit of your B00 number) and the year 2017.
4. Download data on the working-age population and non-working-age population for China, India, and Canada starting in the year of the 1960s corresponding to the last digit of your B00 number. Find data through the year 2018. Calculate the ratio of the working-age population to the non-working-age population. Use the series Population ages 15-64 (% of total) for the working-age population, and the sum of the two series Population ages 0-14 (% of total) and Population ages 65 and above (% of total) for the non-working-age population.
5. For China and India (separately), calculate the correlation coefficient between the ratio of the working-age population to the non-working-age population and GDP per capita (use GDP per capita (constant 2010 US$)) between your earliest year (selected according to the last digit of your B00 number) and the year 2018.
In your essay, describe the demographic changes over time in China and India in the birth rate and the death rate. When did the ratio of the working-age population to the non-working-age population peak? Compare the two countries to each other and to Canada, and discuss whether GDP per capita is associated with changes in demography. What do Bloom and Williamson (1998) suggest will happen to the ratio of the working-age to non-working-age population throughout the demographic transition? Based on this, where do you think China and India are in the demographic transition?
Your essay must have a title, an introduction, and a conclusion. Make sure to define your terms and provide appropriate background information. A suggested essay structure contains five paragraphs:
a first paragraph that briefly introduces the argument you will make in the essay;
and a fifth, concluding, paragraph that briefly describes the main points you have made in the essay.
a second paragraph describing how the birth rate and death rate have changed over time;
a third paragraph describing how the working-age to non-working-age ratio has changed over time;
a fourth paragraph describing and comparing how well the birth rate, the death rate, and the working-age to non-working-age ratio correlate with GDP per capita in each country, including Bloom and Williamsons predictions;
The maximum length is 500 words plus a two-page data appendix; include a word count at the end of your submission. Include the grading rubric as the first page of your submission. Use Chicago or APA style, and write in 11- or 12-point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins. Provide a bibliography listing the references you use, including the class PowerPoints if relevant. You must submit a hard copy (in class) and an electronic copy (on Brightspace) by the deadline. Please note that the electronic copy will be submitted to anti-plagiarism software.
The data appendix should include enough detail for the grader to determine that you downloaded the correct data and performed the calculations accurately; if not all of your data fits on two pages, you may decide to include only the first and last years of information. Required charts and figures go into the body of your essay; any supplemental charts and figures should be placed in your data appendix.
Late submissions: -10 points per day, starting immediately after 4:05 p.m.
Over 500 words: -1 point for each additional 50 words (e.g., -1 for 501 words, -2 for 551 words, etc).
If you submit only an electronic copy and no hard copy, you will receive a zero on the assignment.
If you submit only a hard copy and no electronic copy, you will receive a zero on the assignment.
No rubric: -1 point.
No data appendix: -2 points.
Data appendix over two pages: -1 point for each additional page.
No word count: -2 points.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers